6.11.2006

 

Looking for Ideas (& Themes) by the Idea Guy

As I enjoy Liza's PLAYBILL (still evolving as I write) I continue to look for The daDave Code patterns. Certainly there is the DT birthdate of 6/6/66 & the multiplicity of plays he directed with titles with "M" words or references to small rodents in them & his name, which is almost an anagram for the guano of a small (flying) rodent. But the striking phenomenon is, of course, how many people he taught who have gone on to fantastic careers in The Arts. Is this just a epi-phenomenon of the late 70s/early 80s, like the association of KC and the Sunshine Band and the Steeler's dynasty or is it real?

Well, if you look at the biographies of everyone listed, there is a broader trend-- in fact, an across the board(s) trend, if you will-- of good lives and good works that transcends easy classification. It's not a simple Arts and Sciences dichotomy. So while the acclaimed artists in the group can probably recognize their hard-learned skill at the Tabish Lean-in in their adult careers (and honor the mentor behind that), the rest of us have to explain the impact he had on us. And so I don't think it's really about the artistic brilliance of the Lean-in. It's really about the precision and enthusiasm with which the Lean-in was performed, be it by future pharmacists, future city managers, or future global economists.

And so I give the guy credit. He stuck with a bunch of overly clever, hormonally-screwed up, misfit adolescents and impressed upon them: dedication and discipline and professionalism and caring about what you do and taking pride in it. They don't show this kind of thing much on Jerry Springer anymore. Not bad for a small town HS drama teacher. (And sometimes it was even fun.)

Comments:
Actually...this whole mass recollection has prompted other memories of high school and before. As a college admissions counselor, I also look for those high school teachers who nurture students. They aren't easy to find in a fifteen to thirty minute school visit, but every now and then someone does stand out.

All of this started me a-wondering of those teachers who influenced me in years gone by. The hommage to Mr. Tabish is impressive, as are the many students who continued in theatre for college and beyond. But there were other instructors from grades 7 to 12. Here's a few that I remember for their teaching and encouragement:

Lee Edwards
John Sinclair
John Heiser

When I talk to my step-sons about their high school teachers, I don't seem to hear anyone really stand out. The eldest is now in college and quite enthusiastic of a few professors he has had, but the younger one seems bored and uninspired with high school.

I'm glad I had four (at least) teachers who pushed me further in six years of school. I get the impression this is truly the exception now and not the rule.
 
More Weird Tabish Patterns:
It has also occured to me that Joe's name for this blog (paintthesetbrown) is an acronym very close to PTSD. A little too subconscious for my tastes. Grace can expand on this if necessay and may be willing to form a TabishShock support group for sound design veterans of the Sendracs War who can't cope.
 
If his birthdate is 6/6/66, he's younger than us, but who am I to say? Love the conspiracy theories, keep them coming.
 
The biography of DT at KimContrucci.com lists his birthday as that, so it must be fact. Did anybody else ever see him sitting in the dark during rehearsal mumbling to himself? I'm pretty sure he was talking to his index finger and saying something like "Redrum".

Joe tells me Ian is behind the bio, which if you haven't read it, is friggin' hilarious. Explains all the high concept tribute stuff he's been saying lately; wait till MISTER Tabish sees how Ian's been smackin' off on MISTER Tabish's website, he's gonna be pissed. But it's too late. 2 basic Principles of this blogging thing Joe and I invented: 1) it stays on the web...forever, 2) "send" really means "you possibly just sent this to everyone in The Universe". Maybe EJ has been smart to stay in the shadows. Next topic:
Sendrac Dating Patterns, 1977-83. Anybody interested, then see the Principles above.
 
No I am certainly not Tim, but thanks for asking.
 
How about this topic then--

Galileo and IAH: Experiments in dropping things from the high steel grid to the stage floor, 1977-83.
 
Another topic starter:

How many shirts do you take to school when you have to set lights that day?

BTW, the 6/6/66 number is noted in the Playbill as the date DT graduated from Springdale High School.
 
I've moved on to the word verification thing we have to do to post a comment. I'm sensing some DaDave Code vibes there.

If you can recall him tearing down the aisles at practice to redirect the motivation of some disengaged Cockney extra, you'll know what I mean when I say: The Tabish moves in strange ways.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?