9.17.2006

 

Time for a new DJ

Since Tim is out mowing, I've taken over the controls.

Comments:
That sent me hunting for a clip of that amazing night that the B52s appeared on Saturday Night Live, confusing an audience of millions. I couldn't find that one, but I did find this, the only "first appearance on national tv" to surpass it. I think this made me who I am today.
 
Is this it Joe? I think they have the first appearance of the show somewhere on YouTube as well, I just can't find it at the moment...
 
BTW Joe, I remember that night seeing Devo on SNL. They were and still are so totally "Cool".
 
Oh, that is it Nell. I forgot they did two songs. I was looking for "Rock Lobster" so this didn't show up. Thanks.
 
Re: Devo.

As Ian, Chip and I have discussed, it's a great source of amusement for us that Mark Mothersbaugh now writes music for mainstream cartoons like RUGRATS and CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG.
 
So, Nell and Joe, how does one find these clips? Just do a regular type search at that site?My daughter showed me one last week of folks dancing on treadmills that she put on her iPOD (or is it Ipod?). I wanted to show folks that but didn't know how.
 
I remember the B52's on SNL less than I remember Devo. The musical guests were such an important part of that show in the 70's. Of course, Elvis Costello was the coolest appearance- but I also remember the Leon Redbone - who has a career sort of still all because he appeared on one of those early SNLs and people went- "wow, what's that?"- The Roches and Patti Smith and I remember The Rolling Stones were on once and the next Monday, all anyone in the Upper Commans could talk about was how Mick Jagger licked Ron Wood during the song. The really freaked everyone out. How come the Ramones never made it in the early years? I man, they were just down the street.


The Clash was on about 1980-81. I was visiting Roseann in Philadelphia- I believe we stayed at Liza's apartment. I made Roseann cut short her evening so I could watch them on TV. It didn't matter- she just dropped me off and went back out. It was before I drank- so all I can rmemeber was watching The Clash through a sort of beer haze and then falling asleep.
 
Nell. Nell. Nell.

The profanity. The obscure retro, yet avant garde music references. The saavy web sleuthing.

What exactly happened during those labs in Pharm School?
 
Yes Liza, just use the search window. Sometimes clicking the links next to the video will lead you interesting places, as they are supposed to be "of interest and related" to what you're watching.

The treadmill video you're talking about is here .
 
Yes!! Bless you!! That's it!
 
Ian, like most of my life, I can't remember that-- Roseann and I did share a dorm (but no TV) that year, though.

Roseann!?! You out there?
 
I had this little song I used to sing. It went like this:

"The best part of lab is
getting out of lab,
getting out of lab,
getting out of lab..."

I was introduced to the B52s in '79 by a Tamburitzan friend (who was an education major).

And Tim, I have ALWAYS been this cool...you just didn't know it.
 
You betrayed yourself. "cool" and "Tamburitzan" are mutually exclusive.
 
You obviously don't know any Tammies!!!
 
I wouldn't have suspected until I saw "The Decline of Civilization 7: the Underground LA Polka-Rave Scene" on TV last night.
 
Um. Yeah. Something like that. But think something a little wilder.
 
Is it something about the mix of IC Light kegs and accordion music or is there a dark side to Slavic folk dancing we need to expose?
 
Two types of Tammie parties: the Social Clubs after the performances--no lite beer, plenty of carb-loaded ethnic delights from the Bubbas, tamburas are the instrument of choice, my friends are mostly Cro(atian) so it was always at a Cro Club, never at a Slovak Club, and wild dancing with shouts of ethnic glee is always involved. The second type is an American party as you know it with lots of reckless abandon.

And I just got an easy word verification (FINALLY) but I can't remember the sniglet for that. Sorry Jeff. (Blog Bait Alert)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?