6.18.2006

 

TABAPALOOZA!!!



Tabapalooza was last night and a huge success. Dave was completely surprised and perhaps for the first time ever, speechless - hard to believe but it's true.

The events in a nutshell:

Friday night was the PrePreParty at the home of Stanley and Janine Lazor. They have a beautiful home with a view of Indiana and the surrounding woods that can't be described. It was a fun night of renewing friendships and in some cases (i.e. moi) meeting people for the first time. The talking and eating went on late - I left around 12:30 am and apparently the Heather's stayed until close to 2 am. I'd like to offer our thanks to Stanley, Janine's husband, for being so gracious - he's a very funny, low key man and the perfect foil for our Ms. Dropcho.

Saturday afternoon was the PreParty at the home of Don and Nell Coleman. People came and went all afternoon, kids and parents swam in the pool, Sendrac spouses bonded while trying to remember who was who, and much food was again consumed. Don proved to be another low key and funny guy leaving me to wonder just what it is that draws these patient good men to crazy girls like the former Sendracian Women. That's perhaps a study better left to another writer (Dr. McWeinery??) A special thanks Elizabeth and Emily, Nell's charming daughters, who kindly watched the pool and the kids so the parents could focus on visiting. Nell's son Sean seems to be the smartest of that family as he kept a very low profile and got the heck out of there as soon as he was allowed. And Elizabeth, your mom will be spending much less time on the computer so she won't forget to pick you up again.

Saturday night was the main event. I'm not the person to write about it in detail, but I know many of you who couldn't make it are anxious to know how things went. Hopefully others will be posting with details about the various moments so I'll give the general overview. Dave and Irene arrived and through a clever ruse involving half of Indiana and most of the citizens of Chautauqua, Dave was surprised and thrilled. He spent the evening catching up with everyone and watching himself being made fun of in a 45 minute entertainment extravaganza. The party room was fantastic and not enough thanks can be given to Dave Noker for his Herculean efforts in making the room setup and service during the evening seamless and smooth .

I know a number of folks took photos - I'd appreciate if you'd contact me to arrange for me to get copies. I looked briefly at the video shot and while a lot of it is too dark to make out what is going on, a number of the key moments - like the entertainment section - are watchable so I'll be editing that down and putting on a DVD. I'd like to include as much visual info as I can, so most of the website images will be put into slide shows on the DVD as well as people's photos from the event. I can't say when it will happen but hopefully soon (assuming I get photos from the last two days hint-hint). I'll let everyone know when it's ready and send out copies to all who are interested, esp. those of you who couldn't make it.

My profound thanks to everyone involved - I am truly touched by everyone's kindness and dedication to making this night happen. Whether you sent a bio to Liza, gave your house over for invasion, posted a memory to the blog, wrote something for the entertainment, sent a picture for the website, or just wrote to say you couldn't come but wished you could - it all added up to an amazing tribute to an amazing man. It couldn't have been a better night.

Comments:
I've been kind of shy about this blog thing, but I'll start the comments anyway.

In an evening filled with hundreds of wonderful moments, the impresssion I'm remembering first right now, is how perfectly Ian has taken up the mantle of what DT meant to me/us. This passing of the torch and the reassurance that the legacy which we celebrated will in fact carry on especially through him, made the event so worthwhile. Ian, of course, does not need me to validate what he does or who he is, but I hope he'll bear with me.

It was like an instantaneous movie edit that spans a quarter century. In one scene there's an awkward, skinny, bright but too edgy teenage kid from down the street who's trying to fit in-- but on his own terms and without compromising himself. After the jump cut, there's a poised, articulate father and husband and artist and role model with a maturity and decency and humanity and a pitch perfect sense of humor and wit. And somewhere in the splice is DT, who important as he was to so many of us, seems particularily important to Ian for giving him confidence and sense of place at a critical time in his life. I think Ian said as much in a very moving tribute. But I see now how much of Ian's life eiptomizes the impact and importance of Tabish on so many of us.

It was a special and neat group of people who were catalyzed by and built something unique 25 years ago around a samlltown HS drama teacher. I'm happy and proud to have been part of it.

But I am still trying to get over how brilliantly Ian managed to steal the show the other night.fraghmeq
 
Was Ian at Tabapalooza???!??! I guess I didn't notice.

FWIW, Tim, you are supposed to type the word verification letters in the little square, not at the end of your post.jpgdyks
 
Thanks for the details from one who missed out...
 
I see my work here is done & now on to athiests.com!
 
Mister Tabish has definitely and obviously been life-time meaningful; this past weekend, every single special moment of it, was definitely life-time memorable...
Thank you to everyone for coming home again...(even Ian).
 
Ginger, I broadsided Ian with a sincere compliment and my heartfelt admiration. But I was mostly impressed with how genuinely funny he is both inperson (and in his stunningly on-the-mark portrayal of MISTER Tabish...totally unforced and perfect). In fact, he IS Tabish; the pupil becomes the master.

Makes me wish I still did theater. Being directed by him might be rewarding AND fun.

Oh and Ian, in case you're reading this, your wonderful family is a tribute to the person you've become.

Sorry, henceforth I'll now return to my regularly scheduled sarcasm. Now where could Eric or Geoff be....
 
Please, please more sarcasm and mockery headed in my direction, Tim.

but thank you. I don't mean to be ungracious. I'm humbled by your comments- but also a bit embarassed.

Ian
(I gained a lot of weight- you could start mocking me for that)
 
I could start with more pointed descriptors of the glory of your teen years. In fact, I might include Msr. Pino in the attack since he upstaged me too-- in my own carefully-crafted vanity set piece/for sure showstopper. (Geez, I had to listen to my own wife and Jennie discuss how much funnier he was on the way to the airport the next day. Stupid tech guy, had to turn the cricket cage meter up to 11 didn't you?)

But seriously...really...one of my favorite quotes from a mentor is "Send the message down the line." Seems like Tabish should be/will be pleased with your efforts.

OK, no more nice guy from here on.
 
If folks send me their verbiage (e.g., Anne's parody scripts, Jeff's dissertation, Tim's grammy- nominated rap) and I turn it into a webby thingy (html) could Joe find a space on his server for Sendracs Ephemera? Then we could giggle into perpetuity. Just a thought. Don't wanna make more work for anyfolk.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?