2.09.2008

 

Spinning Lady Illusion

I find this fascinating and spent a lot of time looking at it. At first it was firmly going counter -clockwise for me, then it would only go clockwise. Now, I can get it to switch if I glance at it suddenly or if I focus on something like the bottom of the foot and imagine it going the other way. Below is the text that goes with it:

If you see this lady turning clockwise, you are using the right side of your brain. If you see it turning counter-clockwise, you are using the left side of your brain.

Some people do see both ways, but most people see it only one way. See if you can make her go one way and then the other by shifting your eyes slightly to the side.

Experimentation has shown that the two different sides, or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following table illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:


Left Brain
Right Brain
Logical Random
Sequential Intuitive
Rational Holistic
Analytical Synthesizing
Objective Subjective
Looks at parts Looks at wholes

Most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general,

schools tend to favor left-brain modes of thinking, while down playing the right-brain ones. Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy.
Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

Comments:
I cannot get it to switch no matter how hard I try. Anybody else like this?
 
Just curious - which way is it going for you?
 
I knew you'd ask. I'm maddeningly right-brained.

Coincidentally we had a lengthy discussion on this topic at work a few weeks ago.
 
For me: lots of looks, all clockwise...except for once when she suddenly turned the other way for a few seconds then flipped back. What's THAT about?
 
It's your brain, Jeff. She has appeared to stop and change directions for me a few times, too. This thing is all over the internet, and one site confirmed that someone took apart the image to make sure it wasn't actually turning in different ways -- it's not. It's all in your head!
 
What's wrong with MY head? Wait! Don't answer that!

Still, I cannot get her to turn the other way at all. I focus on her foot, I freeze her and TRY to imagine her going the other way, I close my right eye, then I open it and close the left eye. I try not to focus intently, I look away, I glance back. Nothing works, even for a few seconds. There has to be a way for me to turn her. I can't be 100% right-brained.

I first saw this sometime last Fall and she's never changed direction for me.
 
I know it's all in my head, but still the sudden switch--then switch back--was startling, like I'd been struck by brief moment of left-brain rationality!
 
What a fun trick. It'll start out clockwise and then I focus on its foot and then imagine it turning the other way and then the brain flips a switch (I guess).

When I had trouble sleeping a few years back because I would just think about all the crap I was worried about, I would try to remember some melody- the more complex the better and it would shut my left brain right down and let me fall asleep.

I would think Mr. Magee would be about as intellectually ambidextrous as anyone I've ever met. But maybe it's because both hemispheres are always on in Jeff's brain.

Or maybe this is just a test to see if you're a witch.
 
*(&$#!!! Which foot do you focus on? The one spinning or the more stationary one?

My goal is to get her to switch. But it's so damn hard.
 
Move the screen so all you can see is the foot that is on the "floor." Then, as the foot swings around to the back, tell yourself repeatedly that it's swinging to the front. Seriously, this is how I did it the first time.

The reason this whole thing works is a figure cannot actually face front or back in silhouette.
 
nell, don't try so hard. you need to trick your brain into switching hemispheres. focusing and thinking are keeping you in the left brain. try to stare at it but let your mind wander. try putting on some music -- instrumental -- and look at her, again letting your mind wander. let her be in the corner of your eye and watch something else. once you get the L/R switch to happen once you'll find it easier to do. fwiw i look at her ass not her foot.
 
I've almost got it. I can "see" her go the other way after imagining her swinging her foot back and forth just out of the corner of my eye. I still can't get it by looking directly at her. You're right Joe, I am concentrating too hard--It's difficult not to focus.

BTW, I never would have pegged you to be an ass man ;-)
 
Oh yeah, Joe's nickname in college was "Assman," I think. Yeah, it was Assman all right. Wait, I may not be remembering that correctly it was "ass" something. What was it? Like, "Assface" or "Assie" or "The Assatola" or something like that. Oh wait, I remember, it was "Assmonster," but we just called him "Ass" for short. No, the more I think about it, the more I think it was, like "Asszilla" or "The Assman of Alcatraz" or "Chevron Unleaded Ass," or "Assmaster" or something like that. All I know is that the word "ass" was in there somewhere. ...... on second thought, his nickname was "Peen." I must have been thinking of Chip.
 
Acutally we used to call Chip ...um.. Chip. It was St. Francis of Assisi that we called "the Assman". What party animal he was. What ever happened to him?
 
There are so many punch lines to this joke that include the word "sheep" but I'm afraid I would offend EVERYONE, so instead I will quietly, to myself, reminisce about Mclain Stevenson.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?