2.16.2008

 

Ipod Seventies Madness

Well, I finally broke down and got an ipod (my eight year old daughter beat me to this by almost six months). I could no longer stand looking at the piles of CDs taking over my house (you know, the kind of cd- like the one you bought in 1991 and even though you didn't ever listen to it, you kept it around because there was one song on it that you kinda liked)

So, I am about 5,000 songs into this process of burning songs and boxing up the cds and I was weeding through my (embarrassingly small) mid-seventies "rock music inspired by mixing large amounts of jack daniels and plentiful and inexpensive cocaine" collection. I remembered a blog entry early on in Tabishland about Ted Nugent. Here is the scene:


Ian: (Thinking to himself) I remember liking that song Stranglehold. I mean, there's nothing I like about that asshole Ted Nugent, but that song...was it really any good? Nah, I'm sure it was just like when I tried to listen to Wings' Venus and Mars a few years back. I hated it.

(pause while he tries to decide whether to burn Bowie's Station to Station on to his ITUNES or just be satisfied with TVC15 and Golden years from the Bowie Singles compilation)

You know, for just 99 cents, I could grab a copy from the ITunes store and if it's horrible, all I will have lost would be 99 cents.

(He then proceeds to download Stranglehold, burn it to his IPOD and listens to the song with the cheap-ass ear buds that came with the machine).

(Still, to himself)
This is the rockin'est song ever recorded.

END

Moral of the story: Stranglehold is the rockin'est song ever recorded

Post script: can anyone tell me why I saved all twenty tracks from "Shake Your Congas: Another Crazy Cocktail Party" and yet Beatles Live at The BBC just gets put in one of the boxes?







Comments:
Life is full of these little mysteries.

Your description is great. I can visualize all of it.

Ted Nugent is a bad, bad man.
 
Does one file Air Supply under "mellow" or "light" rock?
 
odd synchronicity. Friday i found a bunch of unlabled mp3s on a disc and they were ted nugent circa 1979. including stranglehold. i think chip must have sent them to me.
 
As Tim never lets me forget, Ted Nugent was my man for a few months ca. 1976-77. As I probably mentioned before in this space, I spent a memorable evening listening--in the dark, on a beanbag chair, with massive padded earphones better used by air traffic controllers--to the whole "Free for All" album on that Pgh album-rock station. (What was it? I'm blanking out). I can still conjure the title song in my head, and that one still rocks, too.
 
Wow. Someone else who listened to WYDD.

At least we saw Genesis together...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?