8.17.2006

 

A Midsummer Day's Gathering





Okay, I KNOW it's not midsummer. But we can dream, eh? Family Magee - Jeff, wife Gayle, children Ellen and Miles - stopped by briefly on their way to New York City.

Here they are, a fine looking family, eh? That's my dog Andrew to the left, saying, "Pst!! Hey! Adopt me, please? Please? These people are crazy. I'm not kidding. Take me with you."





Here we all are, except, of course, for Karl who always has to take the picture. This shot looks posed, but it wasn't, trust me. We were caught just standing like this. In fact, a few moments earlier, we were all leaning in towards Jeff.







In a tribute to Mealy, you guessed: "Swingin' High!"


Finally, here he is at last: the long-suffering Karl

All kidding aside ('cause really, Karl doesn't suffer much, trust me), we loved seeing Jeff and family and encourage all who are travelling through New Jersey to stop on by.

Comments:
I'm so jealous. What wonderful pictures.
 
Thanks. We had a good time. Jeff had to work very hard, though, to keep Miles out of the pond. I'd forgotten how active small children are, or maybe it's that Sendracs "energy." Bat Phil had a lot of it, too.

In any case, it would be fun if more people stopped by, so many travel through this area. I would like to think of us as sort of the Tabishland Rest Stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.

I have always had high goals.
 
For the record, Kim, Karl, sons Reese (sp?) and Ethan, and friendly dogs and pond-based goldfish are wonderful hosts, and they should win a prize for Best Backyard in the Greater NY Metropolitan Region. Might even be a good place to do a kind of Shakespeare in the Park production if the Chesapeake S.C. goes on the road. Thanks again, Kim!

By the way, the Indiana connections continued that night in New York, where we saw The Drowsy Chaperone, a very funny show featuring actor Noble Shropshire, whom the IUP cadre will recall as guest artist in summer Theater-By-The-Grove productions way back in the early 80s.
 
PS: in the second photo, please note Kim's bent elbow and Ethan's leftward gaze, not to mention Ellen's stranglehold, helping reinforce focus on the guy with the shoe-polished hair in the middle.
 
Did you get a chance to visit with Noble? I've always considered him to be my hero- Pino worked with him a lot at the Alley. I have a great Venessa Redgrave story that occured when he graciously invited me to his place when I was in NYC on business about 8 years ago. I know he keeps in touch with Irene and Dave too.
 
Thanks, Jeff. It's pronounced Reese but spelled Rhys (Welsh). Hope the party went well and you're having a great week-end.

Tell your story, Ian.
 
Great photos. So Kim, this Garden State....it's all about your backyard, right? Cause I don't see an exit ramp anywhere.
 
Oh, a lot of that is myth, but a lot of it is true. On a quiet day, you can hear the turnpike from my back yard. It's a pretty congested area. But it's also beautiful, and that's where Jersey gets unfairly knocked a lot. I like it because of it's nice, and because of its proximity to the mountains, beaches, and city, but mostly I like the people, 'cause they're edgey.

We had just moved, and I walked into Pier 1 one day and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff. The guy behind the counter just looked at me and said, "so, are these gifts for people, or what?" and I said, "well, no, it's all for me." and he paused and said, "Well. Someone is fond of HERself, isn't she?" That's New Jersey. You gotta love it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?