2.17.2009

 

How many did you sell?



I sold about one thousand.

Comments:
Aaaarghhh! It's one of those maddening things about aging, when you have all this stuff that rings bells but no firm memories. Selling hoagies? Or submarine sandwhiches? Shoot, now I've lived in NJ too long and can't remember which name we called them in Indiana.

Bin, enlighten.
 
What a scam that was. It's starting to drift into History, like selling War Bonds.
 
Okay, but what WAS it?
 
I HATED selling crap for school or little league or whatever. HATED it.
 
I have sold so much &*#$ for my kids that I now crap out and simply ask, "How much does the trip cost if you DON'T sell the swill?" It seems easier to pay up front.

I think we used to call them hoagies but now I think we call them subs. I think. I guess I need to pay closer attention.

I was always a proponent of the No Bake Sale Bake Sale where you just sent in money for the baked goods you would have bought if there were actually baked goods to buy.
 
It works like that at lots of levels. When I was president of the Unitarian Society, someone on the board suggested that instead of the giant annual rummage sale which was a lot of work and everyone hated, everyone on the board just kick in $100 each and call it done. It was tempting but we didn't have the nerve. So much for the joys of volunteerism!
 
Hoagie Sale!

We had to make them at my house for the drill team.

When I was teaching in the deep south my students raised $800 selling candy, the custodian broke into my desk and took all the money. From that moment on I never did another fund raiser.
 
Wow. He really cleaned up!
 
'Hoagies' and 'subs' are names that I recall the most. Depending upon where you grew up, grinders, heroes, po' boys, dagwoods, and gyros were common names as well.

More interesting sammich factoids can be digested here!
 
Muffalettas! They forgot Muffalettas! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta
 
A really good Muffaletta is hard to find. I hope to have one in New Orleans someday.

With a jazz band nearby!
 
I make an AWESOME muffaletta, Eric! Jazz band is extra.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?