3.17.2007

 

On Patti Smith and Cynicism


Patti Smith got inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this month. I saw her on my TV tonight being inducted. It made me think a lot about 1978.

Before cynicism completely took over my life there was Patti Smith.

I remember I owned copies of Easter and Horses when I was in High School. Easter because she had a radio hit with Because The Night and Horses because I liked Easter. I loved both records, but sometimes I had to play them quietly as not to offend anyone- Horses started with potentially the most offensive line in Rock and Roll to that point- “Jesus died for somebody’s sins…. But not mine” and then the song with perhaps the MOST offensive- Rock and Roll N-------, which to this day, I can’t sing along to because it’s too damn offensive. “Jackson Pollack was a n------, Jesus Christ and Grandma too!”

I really liked those records. I thought she was original and gutsy and interesting and beautiful/ugly. Other people hated her- hated her bad. I mean, even LouReed hated her- “F--- Radio Ethiopia, I’m radio Brooklyn” he shouted on his Lou Reed Live album. (well, as it turns out, Lou was from Massapequa, Long Island and went to school, at University of Syracuse- so f--- Radio Brooklyn too!) But still, even Lou???

The music was sometimes pretty good, sometimes forgettable, but Patti really seemed like she had something she wanted to say. I don’t think I knew what it was. Her songs were kind of like “I don’t F--- much with the past but I f--- plenty with the future mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble” but the platitudes were shouted with such conviction- like me at 16- I didn’t know what I wanted to say, but I meant it maaaaan.

But she was great- the cover of her Easter album had he unshaved armpits- really threatening to a 16 year old boy, but really, really exciting too. Dangerous in ways that I couldn’t even fathom then.

“Horses, horses, comin’ in in all directions” A hugely homo-erotic song that I was oblivious to the meaning of- but sang along to nonetheless.

I found myself in the East Village in 1980- visiting a friend in NYC- and I came face to face with the people I saw on album covers and in articles in Cream Magazine, but hadn’t come near Indiana, Pennsylvania- the town so nice they named it once. I loved to dress up like the pictures- but these people seemed like they meant it. They scared me shitless. I knew at that point that I was a fake- a phony… (until The Clash gave me permission to wear army surpluss just a few years later). Yeah, that made me authentic!!!

Maybe, since that time, I’ve just been trying to prove that all those sincere rebels were really fakes like me. So, I'm the first to pooh-pooh anyone out of the ordinary- "oh yeah, non-conformity- that's sooooo original" But Patti wasn’t a fake at all. I just saw her tonight on TV and she was clumsy, homely, nervous, inarticulate, passionate – but, I think, sincere.

Shit. I was wrong. Everyone wasn’t a fake like me.

P.S. I rented Marie Antoinette (the movie, not the historical figure) this last week and was delighted to hear the movie open with a Gang of Four song- something off of Entertainment- I thought- “wow, this could be a really interesting movie.” In the end, I think Sophia Coppala just used the song because she liked the guitar riff and she probably thought it made her movie seem hip- kind of how I used to reference famous writers when I was younger- whose books I hadn’t read, but by mentioning their names- I thought it made me sound cooler.


Comments:
I haven't f---ed much with the past but I've f---ed plenty with the future.
Over the skin of silk are scars from the splinters of stations and walls I've caressed.
A stage is like each bolt of wood, like a log of Helen, is my pleasure. mumble mumble mumble
In heart I'm an American artist, and I have no guilt.
I seek pleasure. I seek the nerves under your skin.
The narrow archway; the layers; the scroll of ancient lettuce.
We worship the flaw, the belly, the belly, the mole on the belly of an exquisite whore.
He spared the child and spoiled the rod. I have not sold myself to God.

Rock on Patti.
 
I dunno. I moved to Brooklyn in 1982 and worked in the East Village, and I hung out with a lot of people around there, aspiring musicians mostly. One of them used to claim that everyone else in the East Village "stole his look." There is a LOT of phoniness in that non-conformity. Huge amounts. The problem is, most people think that just by BEING in the city or onstage or on drugs or whatever, it gives them validity. But I do think there is a special inferiority complex that went with a lot of us because we grew up in Western PA.

And, people can seem like one thing on TV and actually be very different in real life. Patti Smith might be a complete ass that totally and consciously manufactured that image in order to sell.
 
Okay, so the latest theory in physics and cosmology is that to explain gravity, 96% of the Universe is something else that they're calling dark matter and dark energy. They don't even know what this is and are not sure that the human mind or imagination can ever figure it out. So all the knowable Universe-- the billions and billions of galaxies containing googlillions of stars and planest, etc. represesnts 4% of "things". We exist on the dust and in the cracks of whatever this "thing" is.

I'm sure Patti has a take on this.
 
My Cliff Notes understanding of Buddhism is that the interface of reality and consciousness is suffering. In other words, suffering is an obligation of our awareness. And yet, we live better than 99% of the creatures that have ever lived.


Getting out of my teen years was an important step forward(*). Realizing that the movie was not about me was an epiphany. Realizing there is no movie was an epiphany (and if there was one it turns out that only 4% of the Universe is involved).

(*)In a recent survey, over 50% of teenagers said they expected to be famous. To which I paraphrase someone: adolescence is a form of mental illness.

I'm glad I'm getting older:
http://www.slate.com/id/2161925?nav=tap3
 
Jeff: any blog that can go from Rush to Patti Smith cannot be entirely middlebrow.

It's up to you to tie this to Charles Ives or John Cage to somehow to give it a real patina of significance.
 
Oh, I didn't mean it to be a love letter to Patti or teenage angst or the East Village junkies.

I'm also a much more effective human being at 45 than I ever was doing kiss impressions in the basement of Bruno's.

I also suspect Patti is a phony at some level.

It was just weird to watch (my impression) of someone who I hadn't paid any attention to in 25 years and be reminded of what made my world go round then and what makes it go round now.

'Cause you know, sometimes I barely remember that guy.

Dark Matter sounds like a graphic novel about a team of super-human vampire hunters who roam the streets of a futuristic Tokyo looking for adventure and "smart drinks."

I also liked the band Klaatu- remember them? They were supposed to be the secret Beatles. I don't imagine they hung around with Mapplethorpe though.
 
Ian: I remember that guy!! I loved him then; I love him now. PS: to the rest of you: ditto!!!!!! -- tab
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?