3.17.2007

 

Baby, I'm the Lucky One

"It's a Fine Life" as the song in "Oliver" goes, and so it is. I have to agree with Julianne's judgment: Sendracs' production of "Oliver" is first-rate. The talented cast treats their audience to some stellar performances making for one enjoyable evening. The fine traditions of the high school musicals we knew and loved are in the expert hands of those who have followed in our footsteps.

I try to attend Sendracs productions as often as I'm able, so I'm no stranger to the auditorium and the experience, but tonight I felt an extra twinge of excitement and pride. Some thirty years after performing in my first high school musical, I had the joy, and honor, of seeing my own daughter revel in the enjoyment of performing in "The Musical". What a fine life, indeed!

I have to say I delighted in her exuberence after her first make-up call. She'd been to the downstairs dressing rooms and seen "the blocks" for herself. Her fine life burst forth as she read all YOUR names, exclaiming, "I know him!", "She stayed at our house!", "He came to the picnic!", "We went to her house!". She even counted how many people's names she recognized as the other Sendranians stood in awe.

Comments:
Since The Indiana Story was a non-starter, I'm working on a movie:
Cirlcle of Life: the Dave Tabish Story or perhaps LEGACY: The David Tabish Story or maybe, Miracle on Philadelphia Street: The Dave Tabish Story. I'm looking for investors.

Of interest to some, SoCal to Softcoal: The Ian Gallanar Story is moving forward with Tobey Macguire expressing some interest in the lead. Lindsay Lohan was set to play Boz but had to go back into rehab.

Do you think the polish and professionalism of the show is a result of the American Idol effect? Seriously, it must've been sort of neat for your kid to recognize names from the last Ice Age. Like going to Mt Vernon and thinking George Washington actually lived here, eh?
 
Nell, congratulations. Give our best to the new Sendracian as well. It's so good to hear our tradition continues, esp. from within your fine family! I wish I had been there.
 
It's really more of a rogue's gallery. Or the Wall of Nerds. Are you sure you're not putting a gloss on it Nell? Wasn't it more like:
"Ewww, I met him!"
"She stayed at our house and stole a towel!"
"He came to the picnic and ralphed in the pool."
"My mom said she smelled like a French whorehouse."
 
I would NEVER accuse anyone I know (from high school) of smelling like a French whorehouse.

Wall of Nerds, I may have to agree with.
 
No one has ever accused me
of being a nerd, a smelly
French Whore(house) maybe,
but nerd, NEVER.
 
But obviously since you qualified it, there are people SINCE high school you would accuse of that odor.

"j'accuse!"
 
Oh, Emily, make sure you buy everyone in the show you like a carnation and a card that says "Break A Nose" or "Merde" or AFA. They will treasure them forever. Assuming they are worthy of the Sendracian mantle of nerd-dom.

Hey, didja notice I'm back? Miss me?
 
Joey, we hardly knew ye.
 
I thought you guys might like to hear what the new generation does now. They don't so much give each other those "Break a Leg" flowers. Now it seems that these are "Congratulatory" flowers from friends NOT in the shows.

The cast party is still Sat. night, but there is a final matinee on Sun. so the cast party isn't the big blow-out that I remember. Which, speaking as a parent, is not an entirely bad thing.

Joe, you're catching on.
 
Saw an early dress since we were out of town for performances. Really enjoyed it since I still knew some of the kids from teaching last year. Gretchen Barbor is doing a great job. Sitting in that auditorium, with a completely new, computerized light system - you can turn the spots on and off with a remote -- still brings memories back and a tear tp my eye.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?