11.16.2008

 

Ian on Monkeys from outer space and Ohio


Ian Gallanar: Kids are much easier to write exposition for. You just have a character say the way things are, and kids usually accept it. Then you quickly move on. A character can say, "I'm a monkey from outer space," and the kids say, "Okay, he's a monkey from outer space, what now?" Meanwhile adults want you to be tricky. If I want the audience to know that a character's from Ohio, it can take a while before you can get to that. They can't just say "Hi, I'm from Ohio" because adults would think, "Why is he saying he's from Ohio? He must not be from Ohio." My friend Eric is moving to Ohio by the way.

Comments:
In a children's book, is it fair to have the Killa Godzilla from Wasilla character just blurt out:

My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska’s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.
 
Why do I feel like a monkey now?
 
This was taken completely out of context. What I meant to say was "monkeys hate America." I was trying to make a point about how parts of America are more "monkey-friendly" than other parts of America. The media is distorting my record.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?