4.18.2007

 

Virginia Tech

To all of you who work on campuses, or those like me who are all too soon sending their children off to campuses, and to everyone who cares...just a moment of reflection and sympathy on the terrible events at Virginia Tech. You can take any angle, from the response of campus security to the warnings in the boy's writings to our gun laws in this country. But in the end, it's just a lot of nightmare for scores of people. What I frequently go back to is astonishment that lives can take such a drastic and fast turn....that people who woke up and brushed their teeth and made plans in their head about what they were going to do for lunch had everything taken in an instance - whether they be victim or family member or friend. It's daunting and it's scary.

Comments:
In the Rock-Paper-Scissors REAL world, Good ultimately beats Evil everytime. It's like we've been saying, seize the chances you get and create little webs of happiness.
 
Awful, stupid and futile, but trying to move forward is the best revenge against this kind of insanity. We're never promised a tomorrow.
 
I like that. I mean...I don't like that we're not promised a tomorrow, but I like looking at it like that. It makes a person feel less helpless and potentially victimized.
 
I always believe in our trying our best to bank good deeds and kindness and so that when such horribly sad things happen, we still have a positive balance.

Of course the trick is always to live up to those ambitions.

My nephew, of whom I'm very fond, is a sophomore at VA Tech and the report is that the kids there are doing such a great job of taking care of each other. One of his housemates was in the Norris Hall at the time of the shooting and escaped out a window.

I am proud that my nephew Ryan (my sister Robin's son) has been an important support to his house mate and others in pain.
 
How strange is the lot of us mortals! Each of us is here for a brief sojourn; for what purpose he knows not, though he senses it. But without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people. – Albert Einstein.

How wonderful that we have each other fellow blogees. I am proud of your nephew too Ian.

My son Jacob said that being in an art school he doesn't really feel unsafe. "Everyone here is wierd and they express their anger in their art work, not at each other" I am still terrified but I also know in my heart that fear can not stop us from living our best lives or evil wins like Tim said.
 
Gingey, I've been thinking of your son. I'm glad he's okay.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?