12.19.2008

 

Variety TV

I loved, I mean loved those variety tv shows of the late sixties and early seventies. The world that was populated by Flip Wilson, Sandy Duncan, Glen Campbell, Charlie Callas, Paul Lynde, Rich Little, Ken Berry, Mac Davis and the like seemed as real to me as my real life. Anybody seen Woody Allen's great movie Radio Days? It was like that- the imaginary TV variety-show-life of Tim Conway was somehow intertwined with my life of banana-seated Schwinn bikes, Planet of the Apes trading cards and rumours that hot cinnamon flavored toothpicks were a type of mild narcotic.

I loved watching these odd Christmas specials every year. I don't think my parents liked them much at all and my guess is that my siblings would have much rather watched something else. (I also had a weird facination with Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet - watching him on our little black and white tv in Southern California).

I also used to love waking up early on Saturday mornings before anyone else was awake and watching The Cisco Kid
at 6:00 AM on Channel 13 in Los Angeles ("KCOP, your Criss-Craft Station"). I never hear anything about the Cisco Kid anymore- well excpet for that wicked awesome War song.

Comments:
Ah, the Galloping Gourmet. One lazy summer, I tried some inspired cookery after watching him everyday, but it always ended up as rice with lots of butter and cheese.
 
Bing was reputedly a real dick of a dad. Glenn used to be a session man for the Beach Boys before he got famous.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?