12.19.2008

 

My favorite: the Andre Cold Duck commercial


Comments:
Wow. I had totally forgotten this. Cold Duck--de rigeur at holiday time ca. 1973.
 
I recall this as well. What strikes me about this spot is how little of it was video. Most of the images are actually stills (pictures) and the story links these together through fades. No real actors are invlived, excpet one actually pouring a bottle of the stuff near the end. Even back then, this was a pretty cheaply done spot. Interesting.
 
I love this commercial. In my childhood innocence, it was so fantasy Christmas. All snowy and sparkly and Heartland good cheer.

But reseeing as a cynical adult, it now also conjures up Ang Lee's movie, The Ice Storm and 1970's key parties.
 
Cold Duck and a beer cheese ball and pigs-in-a-blanket on a warming tray always meant the Holidays at our house.

In the off-season, Blue Nun or Mateus Rose said it was a special night.
 
And there's nothing that says "classy" more than paper frilly things that go on the end of the turkey's drumsticks- so you won't be offended by those rude animal carcass joint ends.

God, I watched A LOT of TV when I was a kid.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?