8.01.2008

 

Pick a fave

Since we haven't mentioned the 70's again for, oh, about 2 hours now.

Comments:
Okay, I'll cop to the fact that two of these songs are "guilty faves" on my iPod. It's up to you to figure out which ones they are...
 
As part of my beach reading, I picked up a bio on Frank Zappa. I don't know why- I haven't listened to Zappa since, well, "The Day." But, I did see him in concert at the Stanley in about 1977 or so. I loved him then. I thought he was really funny and, you know, "smart." I also got some of his music and gave it a re-listen.

I don't think he's aged very well (Chip Salerno may disagree with me on that one). And, I can't get over how many of those songs were about bondage or oral sex or groupies or poop, etc.. I mean, that guy wrote those songs when he was, like 40, not when he was 22. weird.

I used to listen to it-from about 76 to about 78, thinking I was all "counter-culture" or something. Weird that it turns out to be as juvenile as the rest of it.

But, he had an acute appreciation for absurd language.
 
They say the same thing about James Joyce.

Philistine.
 
Once I punched James Joyce in the mouth for calling me a "feckin' corkmonkey." True story. Then that little bastard broke a full bottle of Jamisons over my head- while that one-eyed piss-ant Becket was in the corner laughing. It was one of the sexiest nights of my life.
 
strike that- it was one of the "funkiest" nights of my life.
 
Sweet totally rule. Chip will back me up on this.
 
Wow. I admit I have a Sweet 45 with Fox on The Run on the B-side. Truly a great rockin' tune. Not familiar with many other Sweet songs. Love is Like Oxygen was always a bit too syrupy and Ballroom Blitz just seemed a bit too over the top.

Over the last year, I've actually been listening to much more 70s rock that I totally missed or forgot about. I've listed a few before, but I'll repeat again.

T. Rex
Bebop Deluxe
Brinsley Schwarz
The Meters
The Flamin' Groovies
Jimmy Cliff
MC5
Modern Lovers
New York Dolls
Sparks
Roxy Music

None were all that popular except for a song or two, but the tunes seem to transcend the ages better than many of those listed on that web site.

Anyone else here get sick when Afternoon Delight comes on the radio or sound system?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?