8.28.2010

 

One more photo


Can the last person out turn off the lights.

Comments:
Wow, that's a great picture! Where did you get that? Is that his head shot?

Re the lights, I'm not so sure...sort of like when a tree falls in the woods. As long as someone posts something now and then, the blog exists.
 
I like the juxtaposition of the photos.

It would be sad to see it go. I'm sentimental. It's been around for a while now.

Maybe we should discuss good books we've been reading...
 
Okay, Nell, you go.
 
Okay. I've been reading a lot lately. I FINALLY picked up Three Cups of Tea after having it collect dust for ~4yrs! It is fabulous! I highly recommend it. I'm almost finished with Water for Elephants and have enjoyed it as well. I happened upon The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao in SC. It was a good read. I read an interesting nonfiction history of surfing, reread some old faves and am now, again, casting about for some other good books.

Anyone have any recommendations?
 
Only one, which is Complications by Atul Gawande. Fascinating view (for those of us not in the biz) on medicine and medical issues...extremely readable and interesting.

Other than that, to be honest, I tend to read mostly 1) boring but necessary magazines, Consumer Reports Health and, God help me, Classical Singer. 2) Mysteries, especially ones set in the 1800's. Can't really recommend per se because you either like that genre or you don't. I'll definitely give your books a try!

Seen any good movies lately?
 
No good movies. In fact, no movies at all. I live in Indiana. PA. Home of where no good movies ever come. If I could find the time I'd go to Greensburg, Delmont or Pgh. I used to go to Pgh to see movies w/ Em all the time but we couldn't co-ordinate our schedules this summer.

I'm not big on TV or Netflix unfort. but I keep thinking I should try.

I enjoyed Complications too. If you like that, try "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. Loved it!

I'm now geeking out on "The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements" by Sam Kean. I am learning so much and it's not a book solely for science-types.
 
You got me on "madness and love." I always enjoy those two, especially together.

I didn't know Indiana doesn't get good movies! How is that possible? Isn't there a mall?
 
You got me on "madness and love." I always enjoy those two, especially together.

I didn't know Indiana doesn't get good movies! How is that possible? Isn't there a mall?
 
Yes there's a "mall" if you want to call it that. Mostly gets gooney teen flicks.

The Disappearing Spoon is a fascinating read. Madness and Love among other things and all of them traced to elements.
 
I will look into that, thanks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?