1.15.2009

 

Mr. Fun Meet Dr. Fish


Live Fish Pedicure

Pedicure water has always been suspect to me. Before I slip my feet into the tepid bubbles, I can’t help but wonder if anyone else’s planter’s wart-dotted feet previously soaked in my suds. Yes, rumors of infection-harvesting cuticle tools have tainted my perspective on pedicures. This treatment gives new meaning to fishy water. Fish spas feature a “Fish Reflexology” treatment in which small tropical Farra Rufa fish (also known as doctor fish, nibble fish and turkey fish), about 100 of them, swim within the pedicure bowl, eagerly awaiting the arrival of fresh, calloused feet to nibble on. Some people swear the sensation feels like “kisses on the skin,” as the fish go to work eating off dead skin cells until your feet are smooth and healthy. Apparently the little guys help release foot fatigue, increase blood pressure and even cure Psoriasis. Me? I prefer a rolling massage ball on the bottom of my pedicure bowl. Fish, I like raw and on my plate atop rice, with a dash of wasabi and soy sauce, maybe some ginger on the side to clear the palate. But if you find pleasure in “fish kisses,” fine. It’s probably the best of the worst. There are much worse treatments that we are about to explore. by Bonny Osterhage

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?