6.16.2008

 

Another Historical Memory Embedded in America's Social Consciousness

I was watching "The Great Debaters" tonight with Em. We were both very moved by the film. There is a scene where one of the debaters runs to the back of a locomotive. For some reason, perhaps the image of a steam engine bound across our country, the scene reminded me of Bobby Kennedy's funeral train.

I was seven at the time, but I can very clearly recall the television coverage and how sad the whole time was. Two months prior, we had an unexpected holiday from school when Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot. Here we were again, this time a tragedy marking the beginning of our summer vacation. Because I was seven I couldn't wrap my mind around the whole thing. Forty years later I still find the madness incomprehensible. I was explaining, or attempting to explain, the event and my feelings and those of the country to my daughter. Which made me think of you all and I was wondering if any of you remembered this event and what your memories are?



Comments:
Nell, that is so moving. The only thing I remember was my aunts and mother talking about it, being VERY upset, and having a sort of "the world is going to hell in a handbasket" kind of attitude. Those were very scary times. Rioting in the streets...as much as there are things to fear now, I think the fear had more of an immediate sense then.
 
the past seems unreal.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?